Each year, the day before Thanksgiving and on Thanksgiving Day, folks from all over the Oakland community gather to serve the homeless, elderly, and those in need at Lake Merritt U.M. Church in downtown Oakland.
We at Skyline have been asked, once again, to help provide pies! We are the pie experts!
- All pies are welcome – (hopefully not all pumpkin). They can be homemade, purchased frozen and cooked, purchased ready to serve, etc. (We can’t use frozen, uncooked pies as all the ovens are in use for preparing the rest of the dinner.)
- The U.M. Church is hoping for 60 pies from Skyline (which we usually provide).
- As usual, I’ll pick up pies on Thanksgiving morning (Nov. 26th) by 10:00 AM and take them to Lake Merritt.
- Folks can leave them in the Friendship Room (office hours are 9-2 M-F – contact Nancy M at 510-531-8212) or meet me at the church that morning.
- If you don’t have time to bake, I will buy pies for you (make checks to Skyline UCC) and any funds not used are given to Lake Merritt to help with the expense of buying turkeys.
- There will be a sign-up sheet which I will have each Sunday beginning November 8th. Thank you so much for agreeing to aid this project!
Most food for this feast is donated: turkeys (no frozen ones the week of Thanksgiving), potatoes, beans, rolls, salad, and pies – some is purchased from the Alameda County Food Bank, the rest is either by donation of items or money. Last year they purchased $1300 worth of turkeys and served close to 800 meals, including take-home, and anticipate the need will be greater this year.
Volunteers are also welcomed – check with them or me about an age limit for children. They need to know ahead of time so they can monitor the flow and use of volunteers. Anyone wishing to help cook the turkeys- that is done beginning at 7:30 a.m. On Wednesday, Nov. 25th, at the church.
Any questions, people can call me at work – 510-452-3224.